Transfer students have been an integral part of the Northwood University fabric since the earliest years of the school. Some of these students have enrolled at Northwood University after attending a community college; others from four year public and private universities, and some after serving in the military. Students may enter Northwood at any point in their college career.

Regardless of what path brings students to Northwood, our admissions staff will help students apply the credits already earned and the experiences already gained elsewhere into their Northwood curriculum.

Which Kind of Transfer Student Are You?

Transfer students fall into two categories:

  1. Students who have some college credits from an accredited college or university but do not have an associate’s degree
  2. Students who have earned an associate’s degree from an accredited community or junior college

1. Transfers Who Will Not Have an Associate’s Degree Before Transferring

An associate’s degree is not required to apply as a transfer student to Northwood. If transferring after completing more than two years at another school, Northwood requires transfer students to complete at least 31 semester hours at Northwood. A minimum total of 123 semester hours are required for graduation. Northwood does not require a two-year residency to graduate, as many other schools do.

Any student who has 23 hours or fewer college credits will be considered for freshman admission but will still need to provide official college transcripts when applying for admission.  While we recommend completing an associate’s degree prior to transfer, is not required to apply as a transfer student to Northwood.

We encourage transfer students to have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA when transferring to Northwood, but all students will be reviewed on an individual basis‚ and are still encouraged to apply.

Northwood’s Registrar’s Office will review your school transcript(s) to determine which courses will transfer and how many credits will be accepted. Only courses with a “C“ or better will transfer.

2. Transfers with an Associate’s Degree

The completion of an associate’s degree is recommended before transferring to Northwood. This ensures the transfer of all associate degree course credits. Upon admission, junior status is immediately received. Junior status does not guarantee completion of an academic program in two years.

Transfer Articulation Guides (TAG)

Transfer Articulation Guides have been created for many Michigan/Ohio/Canadian colleges and universities.

Transfer Course Equivalency Guides

Transfer Course Equivalency Guides have been created for all Michigan community colleges as well as major specific college course equivalencies (Texas Common Core). There is a guide for each community college that shows what courses – and how many courses at that school – will transfer to Northwood. These guides are not a comprehensive list of every course that may transfer to Northwood University. If you have a course not listed on the guide, be sure to check with a Northwood Transfer Coordinator to determine transferability.

Financial Assistance Is Available

Northwood University offers a variety of scholarships‚ including Merit Transfer Student Scholarships‚ Phi Theta Kappa Scholarships and Business Club Scholarships.

More than 70% of Northwood students receive some form of financial aid. Aid is available through other Northwood University grants, the State of Michigan and the Federal Government. For additional information‚ please visit the financial aid area of our website.

Future Transfer Students

A student who plans to transfer to Northwood in the future should contact the Office of Admissions to speak to a transfer counselor. This will allow the student to be advised on the appropriate classes and/or electives to take depending on the student’s transfer goals. Early planning is better, but a transfer coordinator can advise a student at any point regarding their transfer to Northwood.

International Transfer Students

International transfer students are those students who are transferring from a two- or four-year institution from within the United States. International transfer students are also eligible to receive the transfer academic scholarships. For more information on requirements‚ please visit the International Student page.

Talk to an Admissions Representative

If you are considering transferring to Northwood University, it is strongly advised that you contact a Northwood's Transfer Coordinator about your courses, credits and plans for obtaining a Bachelor of Business Administration degree in Midland, Michigan.